June 8, 2015

Beets by Belle: Bloody Mary Alternative


I’ve tried many times to get into Bloody Marys. Each time the response is the same…ECCKK! They are a bit too savory and vegetabley for me. So! I’ve been working on an alternative. The base is beet, carrot and celery juice and I tried a slew of booze to see what would go best with the flavors. Everything was gross except gin, which was magically delicious.


Here is what I put in one serving
  • Beet juice
  • Juice of ½ lime
  • 2 shots of spiced gin
  • Fresh sage and lemon thyme
I shock all this up and poured it over ice and ended topping it off with ginger beer to try to take away some of the earthiness. It was very tasty but…
 

…Here’s what I’m going to do differently next time.
  • Add Ginger Gin or ginger juice.
  • Potentially use spiced bitters or celery bitters.
  • Use yellow beets vs. red beets. I think this will help to bring the earthiness down a notch.
  • Add more fresh lime juice.
  • Use a cheesecloth strainer to get rid of the gritty particles.
  • Maybe shake with jalapeño to add heat. I’ll see what happens when I add the ginger gin.
  • Step up the garnish. I love the garnish that most traditional bloody marys come with. I think I can do better, however I did love smelling the thyme with each sip definitely keeping that!
I’ll let y’all know how round 2 goes! Help a sistah out; let me know if you have any suggestions!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...