February 16, 2014

Remixing a Kitchen Staple: DIY Paint Dipped Wooden Spoons


Remixing a Kitchen Staple: Wooden Spoons

I am a pop of color super fan. When I saw these on Etsy I knew I had to remix them. I've amassed quite a selection of sample house paints from Home Depot which I used to complete this project.

A few things before you get started: Keep paint away from the parts that will be near your food. You can add a food safe shellac top coat if you want, but I would recommend hand washing and still keeping paint away from the parts food will touch.

Let's get to it.

Things you will need
Spoons of your choice
Paint 

Finishing gloss (optional)
Painters Tape (optional)
Paint Brush 



Tape off where you want the paint to end.



Dip/paint spoons or a little of both. 

Get creative with paint options.


 Dry the the spoons on a baking sheet on top of a small long box.
 

They will take at least a full day to dry, but I would let them sit for a bit longer to make sure that everything is completely dry. I definitely impatiently checked the spoons and had to repaint. 

Tada! 

I'm in love with the finish product, let me know if you try it out.

Gift Ideas 
This would be a great addition to a gift basket. You can customize them for many occasions. 
  • Wedding gift: Suit and dress themed spoons.
  • House warming: Color scheme or food themed (citrus, veggies, etc.).
  • Greek Inspired: Paint them using fraternity or sorority colors.

2 comments :

  1. I love this! I will be trying this out with my daughter as an activity. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...