July 1, 2015

Wasted Watermelon Popsicles


I’ve been drinking, watermelon…if it tasted like these popsicles then…never mind…

Little known fact. I’m pretty obsessed with popsicles. Especially if they have chunks of fruit, yes, gimme. I feel like watermelon is a bbq staple and so is booze so why not mix the two together.


Here’s what I used.

  • Half of a small watermelon blended – I only ended up using about a quarter, but if you are a real person with real Popsicle molds then you will need more than me
  • Leaves of 4 springs of thyme
  • Simple syrup – to taste
  • 2 shots of Green Hat Navy Strength Gin
  • 3 shots of Vermouth
  • Juice of 2 limes – again…taste, I like the tangy tartness

Herbed Simple Syrup

  • ½ cup honey
  • ½ cup sugar
  • 1-cup water
  • 5 leaves of sage
  • 2 sprigs of thyme
  • 2 sprigs of lavender

Note: This recipe is very fluid; feel free to use your own measurements to suit your taste.

Simple Syrup
Add the water and all other ingredients to a small saucepan. Let it simmer, stirring until the honey and the sugar dissolve and let simmer some more so that the herb flavor is infused, stirring periodically. I kept it on low for about 20 mins.



Popsicles
Chop up the watermelon and blend to your desired smoothness, you can keep some chunks in there if you like.

Add simple syrup to taste. I would recommend adding a bit more to account for the freezing.

Add the thyme leaves, vermouth and gin one shot at a time, testing each time to make sure you like the flavor, I like my mixture very skrong strong.


Pour into molds and freeze. Serve with vino verde or champ. Have more than one!

Note: trader Joe’s sells the best vino verde.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...