April 9, 2014

Turkey Meatballs With Lots of Veggies


"Don't waste my food! There are starving children all over the world that would LOVE to have something to eat!" I know my mom is not the only one who said a version of this threat to her kids. If you grew up with a southern woman like I did, then you know that throwing away food is blasphemy. This is one of the lessons from my upbringing that I can't shake, not that I'm trying. The first time I made these meatballs, I had a bunch of veggies that I had to cook asap so I threw them in a bowl, seasoned them up and the results were magically delicious.

You can put whatever you want in meatballs, it's part of their charm. This might also be a great way to sneak veggies into a meal for your kids.


Ingredients
1pkg lean ground turkey
I-2 bunches of leeks
2 carrots
2-3 cloves minced garlic
1/4 red and yellow peppers
1/4 red onion
Lots-o-fresh basil
Salt & Pepper to taste
Big Ass Bowl

  1. Preheat over to 350 degrees and put red sauce on simmer so that it can cook a bit while you prepare.
  2. Sauté onion and garlic in 2 tbsp of butter until butter is melted and garlic is fragrant (about a minute or two). The onions should be tender but still crunchy. Add them to the bowl.
  3. Cook chopped leeks in a little butter or olive oil. Keep an eye out so that they don't brown. If you don't want to add too much more oil, add chicken broth (just enough to cover the bottom of the pan) and let the leeks cook down. Add to the bowl.
  4. Shred carrots and squeeze out moisture, save the juice and drink it later. (Don't throw anything away!) 
  5. Dice peppers and add to the bowl. Chop fresh basil and add to the bowl as well.
  6. Add meat, mix well and add salt & pepper to taste.
  7. Wet hands and roll into bite size meatballs.
  8. Bake at 350 degrees until brown. Once one side browns turn so that the other side can brown.
  9. Once both sides are light brown add them to the sauce and let them cook for about 10 more minutes.


Get in my belly.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...