December 23, 2014

DIY Holiday Gift Ideas



Its crunch time people! And I have several super simple DIY gift ideas for the holidays.


Infused Liquor Set
I already have a post about infusing liquor here. The bottles are from ikea, you can also get them from Target or Walmart on the cheap.

What you’ll need:
  • Glass bottles.
  • Alcohol: don’t buy anything too expensive.
  • Flavor ideas: orange, chocolate, vanilla, dried candied pineapple, dried candied ginger.
Tips:
  • Boil the bottles to sanitize.
  • Go light on the sugar you can always add more. Measurements do not have to be exact.
  • The contents should be shaken and tasted weekly.


Cigar Box
I bought a plain wood box from Joann’s Fabrics and painted it with a leftover paint sample that I had in my house. I also bought a clear spray paint gloss from Home Depot to give it a glossy finish.

Super size this gift by adding:
  • Cigars
  • A bottle of wine or cognac
  • Gift card to cigar shop


Infused Oil Set
I always have a set in my kitchen. It is an easy way to layer flavor in dishes like omelets, stir-fry and homemade salad dressings.

What you’ll need:
  • Olive oil
  • Flavor ideas: Garlic, Herbs: Rosemary, Thyme, Sage
After you sanitize the bottles, pour the olive oil into the container to measure how much you’ll need. Add the flavor component(s) and let the oil come to a boil. Turn the heat down and simmer the oil for as long as possible. Let it cool down and add it to the bottles.





Infused Honey
It is cold and flu season so this is a perfect option! There are two ways infuse here. The first is by using a double boiler and adding the flavor components, is to add the flavor components to the honey and let it infuse over time.

What you’ll need:
  • Glass Jars
  • Honey
  • Flavor: Sage, lemon bomb, citrus (zest/peel), ginger




Sage Simple Syrup

Equal parts water and sugar plus a flavor component and voila! My favorite is sage simple syrup, which I love to put in my coffee. Yeah I know sounds real but it’s magically delicious.

You know the drill, glass bottles, twine, pretty package, hooray!


Anywho! Happy Holidays and Happy New Year! xoxo

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...